Golden Nugget Atlantic City Agrees to Let Gamblers Keep Disputed Mini-Baccarat Winnings
"The Golden Nugget has been one of the premier gaming institutions for over 65 years. There is nothing more important than the integrity of our brand and our gaming operations. Without
question, the mini-baccarat game that took place on April 30, 2012 allowed $10 betters to realize a gambler’s dream and enabled them to beat the
house out of $1.5 million dollars," said Fertitta.
"While we believe the mini-baccarat game should have been declared void, Judge Isman saw differently. Even though we can appeal the Court’s ruling and take full advantage of the appellate process and legal system and tie the matter up in litigation for a number of years, the Golden Nugget is a people business and is prepared to allow gamblers, most of whom continue to gamble at Golden Nugget, to realize the gamblers dream of beating the house. Accordingly, the Golden Nugget has sent a letter to all players involved in the mini-baccarat game that it will redeem all chips from all players at full face value. As is customary in litigation, all parties will sign a mutual release of all claims. The Golden Nugget is not interested in protracted litigation with its customers and desires to return to the gaming business."
The gamblers were also allowed to keep over $500,000 that the casino had already paid them from the same disputed game.
The Golden Nugget Atlantic City has been ordered to allow gamblers to cash in almost $1 million in chips which they won playing a game
of Mini-Baccarat where the cards had not been shuffled.
While casino officials wanted to file an appeal as they felt the game should have been voided, Golden Nugget owner Tilman Fertitta said he decided to pay the winners in order to make the situation go away.