Google Play Store Will Offer Gambling Apps Starting March 1st
Google has announced that starting on March 1st, 2021, the ban on gambling apps has been lifted from the Play Store in 15 different countries, including America.
This means users who play online casinos via their Android device will now be able to download the operator's mobile app. In the past, players could only download a casino mobile app for Android by following a specific link found on the operator's site.
Out of the 15 countries listed, the United States is one, as well as other countries like Finland, Germany, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, and Mexico.
Operators Will Still Need to Go Through the Application Process
Google wrote on its support page: We’re updating our Real-Money Gambling, Games, and Contests policy so more developers around the world can build sustainable businesses, and in a way that helps keep consumers safe.
While the ban has been lifted and will go into full force on March 1st, operators will still need to comply with a long list of requirements if they want to get the OK from Google.
A lot of these new regulations are focused on improving the Responsible Gambling sector in iGaming across not just America, but the world.
Eligible Apps Must Meet Specific Requirements
In order for a gambling app to now be featured in the Google Play Store, they will need to meet the following requirements as stated in Google’s Developer Program Policy for Real-Money Gambling, Games, and Contests:
- Complete the application process successfully.
- Abide by all of the laws and industry standards in the country the app is being offered in.
- The operator must have a valid gambling license in the country/state where the app is being offered.
- Underage players in no way can get access to the app.
- Users who are not located in the country/state where the app is being offered can not get access.
- Operators can not charge users for downloading the app from the Google Play Store.
- The app must be rated Adult Only (AO) or IARC equivalent.
- Information on Responsible Gambling must be clearly visible for the player.
Google Support writes: "For all other apps which do not meet the eligibility requirements for gambling apps noted above, we don't allow content or services that enable or facilitate users’ ability to wager, stake, or participate using real money (including in-app items purchased with money) to obtain a prize of real world monetary value."
U.S Casino Mobile Apps You'll Soon Be Able to Download from the Play Store
While there are a lot of mobile casino apps you can already download on your Android device, the process to do so is quite long and a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
This is because, before the ban was lifted, users had to start the download by trying to find a link on the casino's website.
Here are a few of the most popular casino apps in America today: