by Steve Bourie Learn more about the author read more »
Iowa was the first state to legalize riverboat gambling. The boats began operating on April Fools Day in 1991 and passengers were originally limited to $5 per bet with a maximum loss of $200 per person, per cruise.
In early 1994 the Iowa legislature voted to eliminate the gambling restrictions. Additionally, gaming machines were legalized at three of the state’s four pari-mutuel facilities. In mid-2004 a provision was added to allow table games at those three tracks. That same year the state also legalized casinos on moored barges that float in man-made basins of water and no longer required the casinos to be on boats. Iowa also has three Indian casinos.
Click here to see a list of Iowa casino slot machine payback statistics.
Admission to all Iowa casinos is free and, unless otherwise noted, all casinos are open 24 hours.
All Iowa casinos offer: blackjack, roulette, craps, slots and video poker. Some casinos also offer: mini-baccarat (MB), poker (P), pai gow poker (PGP), Caribbean stud poker (CSP), let it ride (LIR), big 6 (B6), bingo (BG), keno (K), three card poker (TCP), four card poker (FCP) and Spanish 21 (S21). The minimum gambling age is 21.
NOTE: If you happen to win a jackpot of $1,200 or more in Iowa, the casino will withhold 5% of your winnings for the Iowa Department of Revenue. If you want to try and get that money refunded, you will be required to file a state income tax return and, depending on the details of your return, you may get some of the money returned to you. The $1,200 threshold would also apply to any cash prizes won in casino drawings or tournaments.
For more information on visiting Iowa call the state’s tourism department at (800) 345-4692 or visit their web site at www.traveliowa.com.
Shown below is a list of all Iowa casinos. Click on a casino name to see a page of detailed information about that particular casino.
- Ameristar Casino Council Bluffs
- Argosy Casino - Sioux City Special Coupon Offer - See Listing
- Blackbird Bend Casino
- Catfish Bend Casino- Burlington
- Diamond Jo Casino Dubuque
- Diamond Jo Casino Worth
- Grand Falls Casino Resort
- Harrah's Council Bluffs
- Horseshoe Casino - Council Bluffs
- Isle of Capri Casino - Bettendorf
- Isle of Capri Casino - Waterloo
- Lady Luck Casino - Marquette
- Meskwaki Bingo Casino Hotel
- Mystique Casino (Formerly Dubuque Greyhound Track)
- Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino
- Rhythm City Casino
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort
- Terribles Lakeside Casino
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort - Clinton
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort - Emmetsburg
- WinnaVegas Casino