- Last Updated on 05 December 2013
by Steve Bourie Learn more about the author read more »
Mississippi was the third state to legalize riverboat gambling when it was approved by that state’s legislature in 1990. The law restricts casinos to coast waters (including the Bay of St. Louis and the Back Bay of Biloxi) along the Mississippi River and in navigable waters of counties that border the river.
Mississippi law also requires that riverboats be permanently moored at the dock and they are not permitted to cruise. This allows the riverboats to offer 24-hour dockside gambling. The Isle of Capri in Biloxi was the first casino to open on August 1, 1992 followed one month later by The President.
Since the law does not require that the floating vessel actually resemble a boat, almost all of the casinos are built on barges. This gives them the appearance of a land-based building, rather than a riverboat.
Due to the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, the Mississippi legislature allowed the state’s gulf coast casinos to be rebuilt on land within 800-feet of the shoreline and some casinos have been rebuilt in that manner.
Click here to see a list of Mississippi casino slot machine payback statistics.
Mississippi is one of the few states that breaks down its progressive machine statistics separately and you can see that the return is almost always less on machines with progressive jackpots.
Unless otherwise noted, all casinos are open 24 hours and offer: slots, video poker, blackjack, craps, roulette and three card poker. Other game listings include: Spanish 21 (S21), baccarat (B), mini-baccarat (MB), poker (P), pai gow poker (PGP), let it ride (LIR), Caribbean stud poker (CSP), big six wheel (B6), casino war (CW) and keno (K). The minimum gambling age is 21.
NOTE: If you happen to win a jackpot of $1,200 or more in Mississippi, the casino will deduct 3% of your winnings and pay it to the Mississippi Tax Commission as a gambling tax. The tax is nonrefundable and the $1,200 threshold would also apply to any cash prizes won in casino drawings or tournaments.
For more information on visiting Mississippi call the state’s tourism department at (866) SEE-MISS or go to: www.visitmississippi.org
For Biloxi tourism information call (800) 237-9493 or go to: www.gulfcoast.org. For Tunica tourism information call (888) 4-TUNICA or go to: www.tunicamiss.com
Shown below is a list of all Mississippi casinos. Click on a casino name to see a page of detailed information about that particular casino.
- Ameristar Casino Hotel - Vicksburg
- Bally's Tunica
- Beau Rivage Resort & Casino Special Coupon Offer - See Listing
- Bok Homa Casino
- Boomtown Casino - Biloxi
- DiamondJacks Casino - Vicksburg
- Fitz Casino/Hotel
- Gold Strike Casino Resort
- Golden Nugget Casino Hotel - Biloxi
- Grand Biloxi Casino Resort
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino - Biloxi
- Harlow's Casino Resort
- Harrah's Tunica
- Hollywood Casino Bay St. Louis
- Hollywood Casino Tunica Special Coupon Offers - See Listing
- Horseshoe Casino & Hotel
- IP Casino Resort Spa Special Coupon Offer - See Listing
- Island View Casino Resort
- Isle of Capri Casino & Hotel - Lula
- Isle of Capri Casino & Hotel - Natchez
- Lady Luck Casino Vicksburg
- Lighthouse Point Casino
- Magnolia Bluffs Casino
- Margaritaville Casino Biloxi
- Palace Casino Resort
- Pearl River Resort
- Resorts Tunica
- Riverwalk Casino and Hotel
- Sam's Town Tunica
- Silver Slipper Casino Special Coupon Offer - See Listing
- Treasure Bay Casino and Hotel
- Trop Casino Greenville
- Tunica Roadhouse Casino & Hotel