Louisiana is world-renowned for gambling. From its famous riverboats to numerous land-based casinos, Louisiana is coupled with gambling to the minds of many.
In this guide, we’ll have a look through your options in Louisiana, as well as the history of gambling in the Pelikan State.
Online Casinos in Louisiana
Although Louisiana has a very long tradition with some great land-based tribal casinos, it has not legalized online casinos. There have been some discussions of legalizing online casinos, but there are no concrete plans in place at this time.
Louisiana does have a state lottery, which can indicate an openness to other forms of betting.
But, you can still register with a legal online casino while you’re in Louisiana. That means you can get the casino’s bonus offers or deposit, and then play whenever you’re in states where it’s legal (even in a layover at the airport). (Do be aware of the casino bonus’s expiry date, though.)
Land-Based Casinos in Louisiana
All Louisiana casinos offer
- video poker
- three card poker
- Mississippi stud
Optional games include:
- Spanish 21
- Caribbean stud poker
- pai gow poker
- let it ride
- casino war
- four card poker
- big-6 wheel
- Texas hold ‘em Bonus
- Ultimate Texas hold em
The minimum gambling age is 21 for casino gaming and 18 for pari-mutuel betting.
Types of Casinos in Louisiana
There are three types of Louisiana casinos: Native American/tribal casinos, riverboat casinos, and one land-based casino.
There are also three land-based Indian casinos in Louisiana, plus four slot machine-only (no video poker or video keno) casinos located at pari-mutuel facilities. Additionally, video poker is permitted at Louisiana truck stops, OTB’s and bars/taverns in 31 of the state’s 64 parishes (counties). All riverboat casinos in Louisiana are required to remain dockside and all Louisiana casinos are open 24 hours.
List of Land-Based Casinos in Louisiana
Amelia Belle Casino
Amelia Belle Casino is a riverboat casino located in Amelia, Louisiana. It is owned by Boyd Gaming and previously owned by Bally’s.
- Address: 500 Lake Palourde Rd, Amelia, LA 70340
- Phone: 985-631-1777
- Website: https://www.ameliabellecasino.com/
Belle of Baton Rouge
Aboard the Belle of Baton Rouge riverboat casino, you’ll find more than 850 action-packed slots, video poker, Keno machines and an array of table games
- Address: 103 France St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- Phone: 225-242-2600
- Website: https://www.belleofbatonrouge.com/gaming
Boomtown Casino & Hotel Bossier City
The casino offers Vegas-style gaming on 3 floors. Dining options include a steakhouse, a Western-themed buffet and a 24/7 cafe. A cantina has daily happy hours, and there’s a seasonal outdoor pool with a hot tub. In addition to self parking in a garage, valet parking is free.
- Address: 300 Riverside Dr, Bossier City, LA 71111
- Phone: 318-746-0711
- Website: https://www.boomtownbossier.com/
Coushatta Casino Resort
Louisiana’s premier casino resort features a 100000 square foot gaming floor, luxurious hotel rooms, a luxury RV resort, fabulous restaurants, live entertainment
- Address: 777 Coushatta Dr, Kinder, LA 70648
- Phone: 800-584-7263
- Website: https://www.coushattacasinoresort.com/
Cypress Bayou Casino
Vegas-style casino has slots, table games and bingo. Dining options include a high-end steakhouse, an Asian restaurant, a Mexican cantina, an oyster bar and a coffee shop. Multiple bars, a nightclub and concert venue provide live entertainment.
- Address: 832 Martin Luther King Rd, Charenton, LA 70523
- Phone: 337-923-7284
- Website: https://www.cypressbayou.casino/
Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino
Delta Downs Racetrack, Casino and Hotel is an American thoroughbred and quarter horse racetrack in Calcasieu Parish, near Vinton, Louisiana in the southwest portion of the state. The facility is owned by Boyd Gaming.
- Address: 2717 Delta Downs Dr, Vinton, LA 70668
- Phone: 800-589-7441
- Website: https://www.deltadowns.com/
Eldorado Casino Shreveport
The casino offers slots, table games and a poker room. Dining options include a steakhouse, a self-service deli and a buffet.
- Address: 451 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101
- Phone: 877-613-0711
- Website: https://ballysshreveport.com/
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino is located in the heart of Cajun country in south central Louisiana. With more than 1,300 slot machines and a full racing experience.
- Address: 2235 Creswell Ln, Opelousas, LA 70570
- Phone: 866-472-2466
- Website: https://www.evangelinedowns.com/
Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots, the nation’s third-oldest racetrack, has been in operation since 1872.
- Address: 1751 Gentilly Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70119
- Phone: 504-944-5515
- Website: https://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/
Golden Nugget Lake Charles
There are 11 bars and restaurants, clothing stores, a marina, and a pool with cabanas and bar service. Other activities include golf, tennis and a day spa. The casino offers table games, slots and poker.
- Address: 2550 Golden Nugget Blvd, Lake Charles, LA 70601
- Phone: 337-508-7777
- Website: https://www.goldennugget.com/lake-charles/
Harrah’s Louisiana Downs
Harrah’s Louisiana Downs is a horse racing track and racino located in Bossier City in northwestern Louisiana. It opened in 1974. The casino features 1,300 slot machines.
- Address: 8000 E Texas St, Bossier City, LA 71111
- Phone: 318-742-5555
- Website: https://www.caesars.com/harrahs-louisiana-downs
Harrah’s New Orleans
Harrah’s New Orleans is a casino in New Orleans, Louisiana, near the foot of Canal Street a block away from the Mississippi River. It is a 115,000 sq ft casino with approximately 2,100 slot machines, over 90 table games and a poker room. The casino is owned by Vici Properties and operated by Caesars Entertainment.
- Address: 228 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Phone: 800-427-7247
- Website: https://www.caesars.com/harrahs-new-orleans
Hollywood Casino – Baton Rouge
Casino complex featuring 1,100+ slot machines & Vegas-style table games plus drinking & dining.
- Address: 1717 River Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- Phone: 225-709-7777
- Website: https://www.hollywoodbr.com/
Horseshoe Casino Hotel – Bossier City
The casino offers slots, table games and a poker room. Dining options include a casual buffet, a steakhouse and a 24/7 burger bar, as well as an Asian fusion restaurant.
- Address: 711 Horseshoe Blvd, Bossier City, LA 71111
- Phone: 800-895-0711
- Website: https://www.caesars.com/horseshoe-bossier-city
Isle of Capri – Lake Charles
The 24-hour casino features slot machines, table games and a poker room with 13 tables. Other amenities include a casual bar-and-grill restaurant, a fast food eatery and a buffet, plus live music and karaoke nights.
- Address: 100 Westlake Ave, Westlake, LA 70669
- Phone: 337-430-0711
- Website: https://www.islelakecharles.com/gaming
Jena Choctaw Pines Casino
Casino with hundreds of games, plus a sports bar, buffet dining & live entertainment.
- Address: 149 Chahta Trails, Dry Prong, LA 71423
- Phone: 318-648-7773
- Website: https://www.choctawpines.com/
L’Auberge Casino Hotel Baton Rouge
L’Auberge Casino & Hotel Baton Rouge is a casino in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The casino opened in September 2012, and has 74,000 square feet of gaming space. It is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Penn National Gaming. The casino has 1,500 slot machines, 50 table games, and a poker room.
- Address: 777 L’Auberge Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70820, United States
- Phone: 225-215-7777
- Website: https://www.lbatonrouge.com/
L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles is a casino hotel in Lake Charles, Louisiana. It is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Penn National Gaming. L’Auberge employs over 2,400 people, and has nearly 1,000 hotel rooms. It regularly draws in 400,000 visitors a month.
- Address: 777 Ave L’Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601
- Phone: 337-395-7777
- Website: https://www2.llakecharles.com/
Margaritaville Resort Casino – Bossier City
The award-winning Margaritaville Resort Casino Bossier City provides an island-style escape to make your getaway exceptional every time you visit.
- Address: 777 Margaritaville Way, Bossier City, LA 71111
- Phone: 855-346-2489
- Website: https://www.margaritavillebossiercity.com/
Paragon Casino Resort
The casino has over 2,000 slot machines and 40 gaming tables. Other amenities include a golf course, a spa, a fitness center and 2 pools (indoors and outdoors), plus a movie theater, a concert arena and a kids’ arcade.
- Address: 711 Paragon Pl, Marksville, LA 71351
- Phone: 800-946-1946
- Website: https://www.paragoncasinoresort.com/
Sam’s Town Hotel & Casino Shreveport
Sam’s Town Shreveport is a hotel and casino in Shreveport, Louisiana. It is owned and operated by Boyd Gaming.
- Address: 315 Clyde Fant Pkwy, Shreveport, LA 71101
- Phone: 877-429-0711
- Website: https://www.samstownshreveport.com/
Treasure Chest Casino
Lakeside casino with riverboat styling features a wide range of games & slots, plus dining & shows.
- Address: 5050 Williams Blvd, Kenner, LA 70065
- Phone: 504-443-8000
- Website: https://www.treasurechest.com/
Louisiana Land-based Casino Map
You can easily see all casino locations by using our Louisiana casinos map. To zoom in, just click the + (plus) sign in the lower right corner of the map, or to zoom out, just click the – (minus) sign in the same area.
To move the map of casinos in Louisiana, click and hold down either of your mouse buttons. Then use the hand icon to drag the map in whichever direction you desire.
Each of the red icons on the map is a casino location. Just click on any red icon to see the name of the casino at that location. If you want more information on that casino, simply click again on the casino’s name and it will direct you to another page with detailed information on that particular casino, including: address, phone number, toll-free phone number, room rates, casino size, dining information, games offered, availability of discounts for seniors, any special features, and a direct link to that casino’s website.
History of Gambling in Louisiana
Louisiana was the fourth state to approve riverboat casino gambling and its 1991 gambling law allows a maximum of 15 boats statewide. In 1992 a provision was added for one land-based casino in New Orleans.
Timeline of Gambling Legislation
- 1753: First state casino opened.
- 1812: New Orleans, Louisiana Exempted from Federal ban on gambling
- 1866: State lottery began.
- 1920’s: Pari-mutuel betting legalized for horse racing at fairgrounds.
- 1991: New State lottery became legal.
- — 15 riverboat casinos and video poker machines approved.
- — First land-based casino was approved.
- 1993: Three Native American compacts approved.
- 1997: Slot machines approved for racinos.
Gambling Laws and Regulatory Organizations in Lousiana
The minimum age for all forms of gambling in Louisiana (including the lottery) is 21.
Despite a number of casinos and the state’s long history with gambling, there is little movement at the moment toward legalizing online gambling.
In July 2019 the state legislature did not pass the bill which would have been the next step toward legaling online sports betting in Louisiana.
Gaming regulations require that gaming machines at all Louisiana non-Indian casinos be programmed to pay back no less than 80% and no more than 99.9%. For video gaming machines at locations other than casinos, the law requires a minimum return of 80% and a maximum return of 94%.
The payback percentages for slot machines at all casinos in Louisiana are released as a matter of public record. Just click here to see a list of slot machine payback statistics for all Louisiana casinos.
NOTE: If you happen to win a jackpot of $1,200 or more at a Louisiana casino, the casino will withhold 6% of your winnings for the Louisiana Department of Revenue. If you want to try and get that money refunded, you will be required to file a state income tax return and, depending on the details of your return, you may get some of the money returned to you. The $1,200 threshold would also apply to any cash prizes won in casino drawings or tournaments.
- Louisiana Attorney General’s Office – Gaming Division
- Louisiana State Police Gaming Enforcement Division
- Louisiana Gaming Control Board
- Louisiana Association on Compulsive Gambling
- “Louisiana’s fantasy sports, sports betting bills fail in legislative session’s final chaotic minutes”
- Wikipedia article on Louisiana Casinos
Try an online casino for FREE. We have over 15 No Deposit Bonus Codes. No credit card needed, just sign up and start playing!
For more information on visiting Louisiana casinos, or for tourism information, call the state’s tourism department at (800) 633-6970 or visit www.louisianatravel.com.