by Steve Bourie Learn more about the author read more
Iowa was the first state to legalize riverboat gambling. The boats began operating on April Fools Day in 1991 and passengers were originally limited to $5 per bet with a maximum loss of $200 per person, per cruise.
In early 1994 the Iowa legislature voted to eliminate the gambling restrictions. Additionally, gaming machines were legalized at three of the state’s four pari-mutuel facilities. In mid-2004 a provision was added to allow table games at those three tracks. That same year the state also legalized casinos on moored barges that float in man-made basins of water and no longer required the casinos to be on boats. Iowa also has three Indian casinos.
Click HERE to see a list of Iowa casino slot machine payback statistics.
Admission to all Iowa casinos is free and, unless otherwise noted, all casinos are open 24 hours.
All Iowa casinos offer: blackjack, roulette, craps, pai gow poker, Mississippi stud, ultimate Texas hold em, slots and video poker. Some casinos also offer: mini-baccarat, poker, pai gow poker, Caribbean stud poker, let it ride, big 6, bingo, keno, Mississippi stud, three card poker, four card poker, Spanish 21 and off-track betting. The minimum gambling age is 21.
NOTE: If you happen to win a jackpot of $1,200 or more in Iowa, the casino will withhold 5% of your winnings for the Iowa Department of Revenue. If you want to try and get that money refunded, you will be required to file a state income tax return and, depending on the details of your return, you may get some of the money returned to you. The $1,200 threshold would also apply to any cash prizes won in casino drawings or tournaments.
For more information on visiting Iowa call the state’s tourism department at (800) 345-4692 or visit their web site at www.traveliowa.com
Shown below is a list of all Iowa casinos. Click on a casino name to see a page of detailed information about that particular casino.
- Ameristar Casino Council Bluffs
- Blackbird Bend Casino
- Casino Queen Marquette
- Catfish Bend Casino- Burlington
- Diamond Jo Casino Dubuque
- Diamond Jo Casino Worth
- Grand Falls Casino Resort
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Sioux City
- Harrah's Council Bluffs
- Horseshoe Casino - Council Bluffs
- Isle of Capri Casino - Bettendorf
- Isle of Capri Casino - Waterloo
- Lakeside Casino Hotel & Casino
- Meskwaki Bingo Casino Hotel
- Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino
- Q Casino (Formerly Mystique Casino)
- Rhythm City Casino
- Riverside Casino & Golf Resort
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort - Clinton
- Wild Rose Casino & Resort - Emmetsburg
- Wild Rose Casino - Jefferson
- WinnaVegas Casino